Can I use it as an alternative to XEPR

General forum for EasySpin: questions, how to's, etc.
AndrewLim

Can I use it as an alternative to XEPR

Post by AndrewLim »

Hi I am using EPR with alanine for dosimetric purposes. Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to the XEPR software. Will easy spin be able to read XEPR data format? so that I can analyse my data from home instead of in the lab. I am looking at smoothing and baseline correction. Will really be grateful if you all could write in simple English because I have no programming background. Thanks!!!!!!!
Matt Krzyaniak
EasySpin Guru

Re: Can I use it as an alternative to XEPR

Post by Matt Krzyaniak »

Yes. Within EasySpin there is a MATLAB function, eprload, which can handle most standard EPR spectrometer formats. Once the data is within MATLAB you can do whatever processing is necessary.

I guess the only hitch is that you'll need to obtain yourself a copy of MATLAB.

As an alternative given that XEPR is Linux based you could also just remote into the computer(vpn into the lab, ssh and x11 tunnel to the instrument or remote desktop/VNC into the instrument) and run XEPR remotely. Though speaking from experience it can sometimes be quite slow and choppy. Using a different processing program, such as MATLAB, is generally betters since it can provide quicker more consistent data workups.
AndrewLim

Post by AndrewLim »

Thanks! I shall try it this week!
AndrewLim

Post by AndrewLim »

Hi,

I am running on a 64bit windows. But I cannot install the Microsoft visual C++ due to school restriction. Will I able to still fun the fitting algorithm. Sorry if this is a stupid question as I am still trying to figure out how to use this system with no prior knowledge on Matlab etc. Just trying to fit and denoise my signal. Will greatly appreciate if someone could help. Thanks a lot!!

Cheers,
Andrew
Stefan Stoll
EasySpin Creator

Post by Stefan Stoll »

Andrew,
The Visual C++ redistributable is needed for most of the simulation functions (pepper, chili, etc). For data analysis alone, you don't need it. For fitting, it will be needed if you use pepper or chili.
Stefan
AndrewLim

Post by AndrewLim »

Any pro out there can advise on how I should add the folder properly? I tried watching youtube to add path properly but apparently it is not working. Could it be because I am using a trial version? Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,
Andrew
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 10.48.47 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 10.48.47 am.png (37.22 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
Stefan Stoll
EasySpin Creator

Post by Stefan Stoll »

This is a small bug in 4.5.5. EasySpin should work despite this message. Let us know if not.