Addition of an unpaired electron when modelling a polymer

General forum for EasySpin: questions, how to's, etc.
Chad19

Addition of an unpaired electron when modelling a polymer

Post by Chad19 »

Hi all,

I am relatively new to EasySpin and am a bit confused in the justification of adding in an additional electron to match my experimental spectra to my simulated spectra. The experimental spectra I have comes from defects in polymers and I see, in general, a EPR spectrum with a "shoulder". I am irradiating these polymers with charged particles to different doses. As the polymer becomes more damaged, this shoulder increases in size and also broadens.

I have attempted a simulation using a DFT GIPAW method for a spin 1/2 system. This code outputs a single g-tensor for different damaged systems which I am plotting using the pepper regime (as I think this is the most appropriate). When I refer to damage in the computational model, I simply remove C-H bonds from the system. The problem I am having is that the single electron g-tensor for the damage system does not give me the shape I see experimentally. However, adding in an additional electron (with a g-tensor similar to the free electron's one) does. My only explanation is that, as the system becomes more damaged, additional electrons are detected in the system from my experimental results.

Am I justified, however, in adding in this addition electron and its g-tensor? Or would it be "safer" to just add in the damaged electrons g-tensor? Please let me know what you think. If you require additional information I would be happy to supply it.

Here is a sample of code I am using. I have set the A-tensor and spin-spin tensor components to 0 for simplicity.

Code: Select all

Sys.S = [1/2, 1/2];
Sys.g = [2.00114645936182	2.00210284596182	2.00330932796182; 2.00231935436182	2.00231932436182	2.00231935436182];
Sys.Nucs = '1H, 12C'; 
Sys.A = [0 0 0 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0];

Sys.lw = [0.05 0.01]
Sys.tcorr = 1e-7; 
Sys.ee = [0 0 0]; 
Thank you for your time!
Stefan Stoll
EasySpin Creator

Re: Addition of an unpaired electron when modelling a polyme

Post by Stefan Stoll »

pepper is definitely the right function to use for this.

On this forum, we can't advise you on what paramagnetic centers you may have in your particular polymer - we don't have the expertise (If there's anybody reading this and knows more about Chad19's system, chime in). This forum is focused on EasySpin and usage aspects of it.
Chad19

Re: Addition of an unpaired electron when modelling a polyme

Post by Chad19 »

Hi Stefan,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I do apologise for this and hopefully I can come across something in literature or if anyone else responds.

Thanks again.