Simulation fits better at lower g-values

General forum for EasySpin: questions, how to's, etc.
MariaM

Simulation fits better at lower g-values

Post by MariaM »

I collected data for an irradiated suspension of struvite in aqueous DMPO solution and found that it generates OH, OOH, H, and singlet oxygen. I was able to fit it by using a linear combination of "garlic" simulations for the DMPO adducts of those 4 species. Overall, I am satisfied with my fit. However, I noticed that the simulation features line up slightly better at lower g-values than higher g-values. I was wondering if there was an explanation for this. If I shifted the g-value the central feature would no longer line up.

DanielKlose
User

Re: Simulation fits better at lower g-values

Post by DanielKlose »

Dear Maria,

Did you consider any means for removing the magnetic field offset? E.g. by also measuring the cw EPR spectrum of a reference sample of known g-value such as DPPH. Otherwise the magnetic field offset will appear as a "g offset" in the simulation.
Since electro magnets have a soft iron core, it is normal that they produce an offset. We usually correct for that using a DPPH spectrum from the same measurement session.
Best wishes!

MariaM

Re: Simulation fits better at lower g-values

Post by MariaM »

How do I remove the g offset? I corrected for the offset from the literature g-value using DMPO-OH, but it sounds like that wasn't enough. Is it normal for the offset to be more prominent on one side of the spectrum?