excitation profiles of a sequence of pulses

General forum for EasySpin: questions, how to's, etc.
Khalil
User

excitation profiles of a sequence of pulses

Post by Khalil »

Dear EasySpin users,
I am just wondering if possible to calculate the excitation profile of a whole sequence of pulses using EasySpin functions. I know there is "pulse" function that allows to do this but so far there is only examples for calculation of excitation profiles of a single pulse either for pi/2 or pi . Sometimes it's very useful to know the the whole excitation profile of a sequence like for the observer sequence in PELDOR experiment especially if you are using shaped pulses. I used to use an approximation when using rectangular pulses based on (Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2007, 9, 1895-1910) and I am wondering if there is something similar in EasySpin that I can use for a sequence of shaped pulses.
Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.
Regards

nwili
User

Re: excitation profiles of a sequence of pulses

Post by nwili »

Can't you just define a pulse shape that includes all the pulses and delays?

Khalil
User

Post by Khalil »

Hi,
Let's take a simple example of a sequence of Gaussian pulses:
pi/2--t1---pi---t2---pi
where pi/2=20ns, pi=40ns, t1= 380ns and t2=1.2us. with FWHM = 0.020us.
I hope this will help, otherwise you can use any other parameters just keep it as a sequence of any shaped pulses.
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
Regards.

nwili
User

Post by nwili »

hi, well, the question is a bit, what you want to achieve with this?

A not super correct, but usually sufficient approach would be to just multiply the different exciation profiles.

In principle, you could define the whole sequence in a single waveform, then use https://easyspin.org/easyspin/documenta ... ofile.html to calculate the excitation profile. You could just stitch together the IQ-waveforms of the different pulses. But honestly, I don't really know how sensible this is. Which brings me back to the question what you need it for.

Khalil
User

Post by Khalil »

Hi,
Many thanks for your suggestions. Sometimes it's useful to know the overall excitation profile like for the observer sequence in DEER experiments to optimise the frequency offset between pump and probe especially when using shaped pulses.
I will try to work out on what you suggested.
Many thanks again